Saturday, September 19, 2009

Real Support

Just a brief note this time. Previously, I mentioned that I thought the National Physicians Alliance (NPA) represented my views better than the American Medical Association (AMA). Each day that goes by, I feel more and more strongly about this.

As you probably guessed, I believe that real, hones, meaningful healthcare reform is important and that we are in a critical time for reform. Whatever happens, good or bad, the decisions made now will determine the nature of healthcare for the next 15 years or so.

The AMA has signed on to the reform effort, and currently support HR 3200--which includes a public health insurance option. However, my perception is that their support is lukewarm at best and that the public insurance option makes them very nervous.

On the other hand, the NPA has stood up firmly in support of reform including a public option. They have videos like these two describing the situation (one here, the other here), informative links like this one discussing a poll in which health care leaders show a 70% support for reform including a public option and this one which compares the 3 current bills side-by-side. Useful stuff, no?

So: the NPA is again the stronger patient advocate and the better advocate for reform than the AMA. I'm glad the AMA is supporting HR 3200 because it allows the process to move forward. I just wish their support was deeper and more outspoken.

No comments: